Okay so cross stitch keeps coming up on my dash and I’m taking it as a sign so next time I have some extra money I’m getting the shit I need to try it out.
The things you need to start are
- Fabric: something like Aida or Evenweave is best because they have holes in equal intervals so you don’t have to guesstimate where to stitch. Aida 14 (14 stitches to an inch) is generally suggested for beginners.
- Thread (and needles!): 6 strand embroidery thread works best, though it’s suggested to only use 2 or 3 strands at a time. As for the needles, a blunt tipped one will do ya and I prefer those. However, if the pattern you’re using has quarter stitches, you’ll probably want a sharper tipped needle too. :Bb
- Stitching hoop: alternatively, a snap frame or scroll frame (I swear by my snap frame tbh), but most people start with hoops. They’re available in wood or plastic - wood is cheaper but tends to splinter if you’re not careful.
- A pattern: kind of important so you know where to stitch, what colors to get or anything like that. |D;
- (optional) a pen: I use one to mark what I’ve stitched on my pattern chart, but you don’t have to if you don’t need it. uvu
All of these can be found at craft stores, usually near your knitting and crochet supplies! Though geeky patterns are hard to come by, admittedly, so if you want some of those, you’ll have to search online and print them off. Some patterns online are free, though ones you pay for are fairly common, too. There are also kits that include all the things you need to make a pattern in many stores and sometimes on Etsy too. :Bb
Hope this helps! /o/